The Fire Station serving the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY is located on the main campus in Building 721. The building was originally designed and constructed as a small one-story masonry fire house in 1938 and in 1984 a partial second floor, for dormitory and locker facilities, was added as well as a small rear addition to accommodate a Physical Fitness Room and Aerial Ladder Extension Room. After 60 years, even thought he 1984 addition helped to alleviate some of the congestion, the building imposes severe limitations on the efficient operations and management of a modern-day fire station and all of the building services are in dire need of repair. Furthermore, the living quarters for the around-the-clock, on duty fire fighters are cramped, do not provide for female personnel, do not separate officers quarters from fire fighters and are substandard regarding toilet and shower facilities.
To correct these deficiencies, EI in association with Iffland Kavanagh Waterbury, P.C. was authorized to study the feasibility of renovating Building 721, including necessary expansion, in order to accommodate equipment, apparatus and to improve the administrative functions and living conditions of the fire fighters.